December 5, 2013

One of the few times you'll hear me complaining about air

One of my most vivid memories from the past five years is that of returning to Vancouver Island after my first year in China. I'd just spent ten days in Yunnan province in southern China, enjoying the mountains and the China-famous Tiger Leaping Gorge.

As my plane touched down, I remember the feeling I had in my gut of coming home after my longest period outside of Canada, a sick mixture of anxiety and excitement bordering on elation. I had a big stupid grin on my face. Home.

The best part hadn't even happened yet. As we pulled up to the terminal and the doors opened, and after filing down the aisle single-file and stepping onto the tarmac, I took a deep breath and actually tasted the fresh west coast air. I've told this story before, but that air was delicious... drinkable... sweet. For the first time in my life, I appreciated the air I was breathing in Canada.

Don't misunderstand, though. I never noticed the more smoggy air in Dalian. There were a couple of really hazy days, but even teaching outside I never ever felt affected by it. That's mainly because the pollution in Dalian was limited, particularly due to the location of our schools (out by the ocean). It was windy there, so it often blew all the smog and rubbish away.

Now, in year five, in Shanghai, I am finally noticing the bad air. And really, it's only recently... for the first 3.5 months since my arrival, it was never on the radar. Sure, I saw AQI ratings that weren't positive, but I was still running outdoors and never got too riled up.

Until today. Until this:


The AQI readings for Shanghai have officially reading "Beyond Index" at a reading of more than 500 all day. "PM 2.5" readings refer to particulate matter with a size of 2.5 microns, which can get into your lungs. They can't get into your blood stream unless they're MUCH smaller, but even still, it's not good. Right now, the app on my iPad reads that the PM2.5 level is 602. I can't wait to get to my buddy D's house where his air purifiers are cranked.

You can't see more than a kilometre down the road, and eyes/lungs are burning amongst kids and staff alike. Again, don't panic... it's not the end of days. But it's kinda like filling a tent full of cigarette smoke. And living there. A tent filled with nearly 30 million people. And I have to wait until June to come back to Canada.

If anyone has a direct line to the Philippines, tell them to order me clear skies... I'll be arriving there soon for Christmas holidays and I want my lungs back.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment