September 17, 2013

Sorting out life's philosophies (via coaching). (And not really about China at all).

One of things ruling my mind more than anything lately is thoughts about coaching, sport, and what it means to be a leader in this regard. It's the first time in about six years that I've thought about it from a coaching standpoint, as I haven't been a bench boss since my teaching days in Canada. It's amazing how quickly the years zip by (especially considering this is year five being an ocean away from home).

I coach JV (grades 9-11) volleyball. I do not coach a finesse team. They're not a team that people look at and say, "Wow, they look polished. They look strong. We're in trouble." That's not us.

We're a team that hustles. We're a team that gets that unlikely shanked pass back into play off a serve and does their damnedest to get it back over the net. There are a couple of players that react like lightning, bodies be damned. This makes me really happy. Don't get me wrong... I don't want broken ankles. Nope... I just want to see a bit of heart and a bit of skin left behind on that court after a game.

Over the past week or two, though, I've become frustrated in practice. Silly mistakes, players ignoring skills and practice after weeks of repetition, laziness. Maybe I've just been out of coaching for a while and this is totally normal. Or maybe I'm heaping too many expectations on this group of 15 year old dudes. Particularly the setters. But I hate to see a ball drop when it's only a step away. I hate to see apathy. There's enough apathy out there... I want them to care about every point. It's in their control and right in front of them, and is as simple as a decision to say, "Yes. That's mine." Or, "I can get there." In life, this isn't always the case and it isn't always that simple. But in this game... it can happen.

The thing I've come to realize is that I don't really care about winning all that much (even though many of you who've seen me would disagree, particularly if we've played Settlers or Scrabble). I do, however, expect my team to compete. I expect them to show up and focus and play with their hearts and minds in the game. I expect them to rally from a series of bad points, and to occasionally make plays that look like volleyball. To take control of this little moment to get hands on a ball that others gave up on seconds before. The one relatively consistent remark I've heard from other coaches is that we're the kind of team they like to play... one that doesn't give away free points and doesn't give up on a play when it seems unlikely. I feel proud of this, and I'm holding on tight. This is the team I want to be. And this is how I want to win when wins come.

I'm definitely green and have lots to learn about this role, but one of the benefits of my new adventure down here in SH is that I'm looking down the line, long-term. It may be the first time in the last ten years that I can look to next year and likely the year after and say, "Yes. I am here. And I'll be here." And it makes me smile.

T

No comments:

Post a Comment